Head of Department: Mrs Bola
Teachers: Mrs Eden, Mrs Williams
Departmental Aims and Objectives
The Religious Studies Department is working specifically towards the following Aims and Objectives in accordance with the aims of both the school and Religious Education nationally:
- For students to acquire and develop both knowledge and understanding of Christianity and other principal religions.
- To develop students understanding and appreciation of the influence of beliefs, values and traditions on individuals, communities and societies.
- To encourage students to reflect upon a variety of responses made by religious traditions to moral and religious issues and to develop the ability of students to make reasoned and informed judgements about such issues.
- To foster the spiritual development of students and the consideration of alternative value systems.
- To develop within students a positive attitude towards other people, respecting and appreciating their beliefs and values as members of a pluralistic society.
Programme of Study
Year 7 What is religion? Learning through Hinduism Judaism Islam
Who was Jesus? Beginnings of Christianity
Year 8 Who are the Christians?
The Qur’an and A Guide to life
Sikhism the basics
Can we live together?
Buddhism Experiencing Religion
Year 9 Following AQA Religious Studies B Full Course
Christian Beliefs and Practices
Existence of God and revelation
Religion War and Peace
Year 10 Marriage and Family Life
Hindu Beliefs and Practices
Religion and Life Issues
Year 11 Religion and Life Issues
Year 12 and 13 Following OCR Religious Studies
Philosophy of Religion, Religious Ethics and Developments in Buddhist Thought